Examples would be Halo, Call of Duty, and etc. They are basically video games found on Xbox 360, PS 3, and so on. 

Views: 1271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you are old school then I think asteroids or galaga or space invaders qualify as shooter games :)  did you ever play those?

Nope.And,i know what the games are Fruity.I never was one that liked games that you shoot stuff.So,get out your chess board and i'll kick your backside a few rounds :P

It seems most of the conversation has hinged upon what activities people perceive to be appropriate for a compassionate person to engage in. So I find it interesting (I may be being hyper-vigilant and reactionary here) that I've seen a few replies containing reference to the effect of video games on the mentally ill. I do find the assumption that people with psychological disorders are sponges that soak up negativity and expel it back at society to be a little offensive. I don't find that to be a compassionate view. Forgive me if I myself am being judgmental in this.

I think it's a healthy discussion to talk about the impact on morality that guided imagination has. However, (and this has of course been mentioned by a few people) should books about war and violence and hunting be banned? Are books that put the reader in the first person of those situations extra evil?

I don't argue at all that growing human beings (and grown human beings as well) are influenced by media but to judge a person's morality on their exercises of imagination frightens me. I also understand that for many people this isn't an argument on the basis of a person's thoughts. Video games are seen as "doing" and not "imagining." I also understand that the discussion is about what can extend from said "doing" or "imagining."

I do think it's okay to feel uncomfortable or horrified or disgusted by video games, books, movies, music, etcetera. I don't think it's a constructive idea to assign morality to those fantasies, however. It doesn't reduce suffering to cut off non-violent (non-violent in my view) outlets for aggression. I believe it just leads to more instances of acute aggression, leading to more suffering. I, personally, find that to not be a compassionate activity.

I also find it offensive to blame crimes on mental illness.  I have tried to make the point earlier that anyone can snap at anytime and so it is not just the mentally ill committing crimes.  Its not even so well agreed upon about who is mentally ill.  Some people are diagnosed with this or that condition but they are just misunderstood in society.  Years ago, vegetarians were considered mentally ill also and still sometimes, someone is viewed that way such as in a heavy meat eating family.

I think this issue of whether a gun game can trigger someone is just based on many factors such as personality, environment, etc.  I agree that such a game does not trigger everyone, but it can trigger someone, so it may be totally the environment but it may also be something about the game itself which does not affect certain types of people.  It doesn't mean that it has no effect.  Alcohol also doesn't affect everyone badly, but I would still reckon some arguments that alcohol does cause a lot of problems in society.  Not just the abuse of alcohol, but it has a quality that just brings stuff on.  People who are mature enough to control it are to be commended, but I don't think that means the discussion is useless.

I have read through this feed just because I have taken an interest in the correlation between violent video games and aggression. I am home for the holidays and was sitting with my younger brother, who is 10, while he was playing a video game - mind (something) …. he was killing "zombies and animals when he needed food"…. I thought the game was… well, not OK for him to play. 

Of course everyone handles situations differently. If you handed a person in a psychotic state a gun vs. someone who is stable… you could guess who would use it first. I work in the mental health field with children whom are emotionally disturbed, mostly with depressive and aggressive behaviors. Though, there may not be proven research with the correlation between violent video games and aggressive behaviors, I will tell you that it is not beneficial… for sure. 

I do think a lot of the problems are parenting. Violent video games, though not for me, are not the cause of violence. They are a contrivbuter… in the hands of someone that is mentally disturbed could cause violent acts. Parents should look at labels on video games and monitor their play time. Especially if a child has a problem identifying and expressing his emotions… playing something violent could not be positive for them. When a child starts to isolate themselves, whether to play violent video games, cut, dance, sing, listen to death metal, whatever! A parent should be concerned. 

Also, we have to be realistic when identifying those people that commit crimes. It is not all mentally ill people that cause crimes…. but there are many crimes committed by emotionally unstable people. Look at the numbers.  

I am a huge advocate for implementing preventative interventions in schools and homes in regards to the mental health industry. 

I think most people would agree with what you said concerning children. They should be guided and monitored. About the rest... I don't know what to say other than that view makes me feel incredibly hopeless.

Agreed Cat Bunny. When I worked retail, parents did NOT monitor what they bought their children... I think we rely on media to raise a lot of them, we aren't teaching them the morals they need anymore for the most part. Look at kid's shows today, all garbage too. Nothing to mentally stimulate, either. There was.. I think it was a Call of Duty game, it was banned in Russia because there's a scene where you just slaughter unarmed civilians, and this woman bought it for her son in gradeschool. I just shake my head.

Parenting is quite important.  I am not sure there is any one good answer.  Parents and society have to look at ourselves from so many angles.  I think the single most drive that makes someone do something is an inner motivation which comes from their own mind and outside impetus certainly does fee that.  But regardless of what is on the outside feeding us, our own morals and upbringing can make us do the opposite, for better or for worse.

The best example I have is that back in the 90s, heavy metal and some rock music was under fire for teaching kids violence.  Everyone went to court over it.  The attack was led by Tipper Gore, Al Gore's wife.  Everyone from Judas Priest to Ozzy Osbourne was dragged to court and they all pretty much said the same thing, that it is just rock and roll and parents need to raise their kids the right way and then there are no more problems.

I guess as a rock fan, I sided with the rockers, but now in my older years, I feel like the concern from parents was also valid.  I do myself feel that music influences my mind.  It would have to because it carries ideas and spirit.  It influences us just like our parents and friends.  Some people become anti-social and video games or music or even drugs become their only friend.

So in the end, I feel Tipper had good points but her style of conducting a witch hunt really lacked compassion and the rockers really were right saying that the parents have to control their kids and guide them from going the wrong way.  So a happy solution came about which is that music started carrying labels that said "Parental Advisory, this album contains explicit lyrics..."  So it is a rating system just like movies and I guess games have that too, don't they?

Beyond all the rating and age restrictions on games or music, the parents need to love their kids and not blame everything on external reasons.

…What's the view that is making you feel hopeless though? 

I agree, Fruitfly… I sit on the fence sometimes too, you can understand both sides. I guess, no matter what music my parents told me I could or could not listen to, I would have found a way otherwise. I was listening to Korn, (Korn), Deftones and Rancid in 7th grade. I do think that music influences you… I don't know how anyone would disagree. People are attracted to certain music because it speaks to them… the music, lyrics are a way to express yourself, already thoughts and feelings inside you. I suppose the same for video games…. I am not a violent person and never took interest to shooting games…. I have many friends that love guns and have a more violent nature to them and love shooting games… 

So, I guess it does all come down to parenting, education and awareness. 

If you're referring to my post, I never assumed people with psychological disorders are sponges that soak up negativity and expel it back at society. Those are your words. In my original response to this post I said "How many" mentally disturbed young boys and men keep themselves locked up in a dark basement playing Call of Duty18 hours a day while simultaneously hating the rest of the world for feeling socially inept? I happen to think it’s a valid question though as we’ve all learned, it only takes one to do what happened last week.

The facts are, mental deficiencies like that of Adam Lanza’s are often accompanied by violent tendencies. That’s just the nature those types of imbalances. These are typically highly intelligent children but who have difficulty connecting with their peers, they're often dismissed as outcasts, are loners and on average get in to more trouble at school, often being singled out and subject to bullying. When you look at their experiences as a whole and then factor in 12 to 16 hours per day of highly stimulating kill games, it isn't hard to connect the dots. 1 in 7 to 10 children fall in to this category.

Does that mean ALL violent video games need to be banned? No. Does that mean we need to ban guns? No. That means we need to have an honest discussion about the fact that young people with conditions like Asperger’s, for example, looking of course at severity on a case by case basis CAN and often ARE negatively impacted by violent video games. Their ability to sort through the imagery and to keep it in check isn't the same as your's or mine.

I wish no child would ever have to feel like an outcast, like no one cares and like they’re all alone. The fact that this boy probably felt this way his whole life breaks my heart for him. The fact that he felt so alone and hated, a hatred grew in him and metastasized to the point he carried out the evil act that took all those innocent lives is something we should all be able to acknowledge and discuss openly but if so many people find the simple act of acknowledging mental illness as “offensive”  that discussion can’t happen in this country.   

I think we, in the United States, do need to ban guns in most situations.  I find it ridiculous that our society would point to video game violence as a culprit and not realize that it is the adults of our society with the dangerous and lethal weapons.  We could make guns available in certain situations, but the capacity for our social violence necessarily needs to be deescalated, in a large way.

I respectfully disagree with banning weapons. Timothy McVeigh used fertilizer to murder 168 people, 19 of which were children. Should we ban Fertilizer? A-Qaeda used airplanes to kill 2,976 on 9/11. Should we ban flying?

The notion that criminals will turn in their weapons is absurd so any ban on weapons will only insure that criminals keep their guns while law abiding citizens are left with no way to defend themselves.

Also, as long as our government partakes in activities that include gun running assault rifles in to the hands of drug runners who then use those same guns to kill border patrol agents, and scores of innocent Mexican citizens, should they really have the right and ability to take away our rights under the U.S. Constitution?

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2021   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service