So I made some pretty sweet veggie burgers the other day but my only issue was trying to figure out a thickener to keep it all together. I ended up using egg, which worked pretty well, but I was wondering if anyone has any vegetarian alternatives that they use instead?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I make veggie burgers I usually use Amy's. I'll buy one of her veggie soups and scoop out the veggies into a bowl. I mix it with some flour and whatever spices I am feeling like, and it sticks together really well. (Then I just eat the leftover soup later or use it in cooking)

O I love Amy's! Awesome idea thanks! Any soup preference or are they pretty much the same for thickening purposes?

I haven't made veggie burgers in a while, but I used to use things like soy flour, potato flour, or tapioca flour.

I think it might also depend on what  your other ingredients are because some ingredients just stick well together.  Black beans are pretty sticky so I think they might also bind things well together.

These are the the best burgers I've had w/ no flour and vegan. They taste like Sunshine Burger's too, hence the name.

Gena’s Homemade Sunshine Burgers

1 cup sunflower seeds, ground in a food processor or coffee/spice mill

1 cup cooked brown rice

2 tbsp ground flax seed

2/3 cup chopped carrot

2/3 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)

2 tbsp water

1 tsp Herbamare seasoning (or to taste)

Mix the sunflower seeds, brown rice, flax, water, salt, and Herbamare seasoning in a food processor fitted with the S blade. Process till relatively smooth (it’s cool if there’s still a bit of texture).

Add the chopped veggies and pulse till the burgers are well mixed, but not entirely without visible veggie pieces. At this point, test the texture. If it’s super thick and sticky, add another tbsp or two of water. If it’s moist enough, you’re done!

Shape into 5 patties, and put on a cooking tray sprayed with coconut oil. Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes, flipping halfway through, till both sides are golden brown and the patties are firm.

( I usually make smaller patties to fit into lettuce wraps.)

Do you have a coffee grinder? 

You can use the grinder to grind the sunflower seeds.The rice might be a bit a tricky but the rest you can chop up as fine as you can. Good luck.

Definitely trying this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2021   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service