Hello, I have been vegan for more than 12 years  now. I am from Indonesia, where vegetarianism/veganism is always related to religion. So many people think I am a Buddhist just because I am a vegan. When people know that I am a vegan, they always ask me "Are you a Buddhist?"

I am an Atheist. It's strange that being Atheist is illegal in my country. Everyone must have a religion. I am so confused what to answer when people ask me "Are you a Buddhist?"

What do you think about this? Do you all really think that being vegetarian means being religious?

I am vegan because I love animals!

Views: 4928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There may be a wide variety of religions, but that second definition makes all law abiding citizens religious which sounds counter-intuitive at best. Btw, atheism is a belief about religion, not a religious belief; a subtle but very important difference.

"I think we should all just get over our differences and let everyone believe in whatever religion they want to believe in." Really? Even if that religion is false to the point of being ridiculous, and also extremely harmful? If a religion allows one to keep slaves, or subordinate women, or mutilate their child's genitals, or murder rape victims it's okay because everyone is entitled to their opinion? Somehow, I don't think so!

so many atheist became vegetarian
thats okay

I was an atheist until my 20's when I discovered eastern philiosophies. I think this reason more than any other is why I am a vegan. I believe that all things have souls. And I believe in karma (consequence) in that everything we do has a reaction--and that these reactions and tendencies extend over lifetimes (reincarnation). Karma is always fair and explains why babies die at birth or why some souls are born as animals and others as humans or why bad things seem to happen to good people and good things to bad people. I think seeing everything as random and unfair is why I initially was an atheist--but when I came to accept the law of cause and effect, I realized how much sense it made and how we're not looking at the entire picture when we look at just one lifetime.

In all honesty I was a pretty hard core atheist for most of my life. And felt I was superior because I didn't fall for foolish nonsense. But I was also extremely empty. I would never want to go back there again! 

In my opinion, vegans who are vegans because of their spiritual/moral beliefs are more likely to stick with it. Of all the people I knew who failed at veg diet they initially tried it as a fad, for weight loss, for health, etc. I think people who have deep beliefs about animals whether it be religious or moral are far more likely to be lifelong veg's.

:-)

So many religions are there because so many people are unhappy. A happy person needs no religion; a happy person needs no temple, no church — because for a happy person the whole universe is a temple, the whole existence is a church. The happy person has nothing like religious activity because his whole life is religious.--Osho

Even though not being a Christian, though a former one, I find very beautiful what you say abve, Humberto.  Love and kindness to others is always beautiful, no matter from what ideology it comes from. Good on you!

I'm vegetarian and agnostic. The two are probably less associated in the U.S. than in other countries. If anything, I've found the opposite. In general, most people I've come across in the states who are vegetarian seem to not be religious; although, there are always exceptions.

eh..   BTW,  I want to ask sth that since you're forced to choose a religion , what do you choose ?

I choose to be a Buddhist on my identity card. It's strange that in Indonesia we must put our religion on the identity card. But I am not a real buddhist, only on the identity card, because we are forced to choose one of the 5 religion in indonesia.

yeah, I also feel amazed about that because one of my classmate she's from there and she told everybody about that.  Maybe the government wants to stabilize people by religion somehow.

Its all about control.

And some people just assume they are apart of a religion.

Samuel L. Jackson came to me in a dream. He started yelling at me angrily:

"THERE ARE KNOWN KNOWNS AND THERE ARE KNOWN UNKNOWNS. BUT THERE ARE ALSO UNKNOWN UNKNOWNS... THINGS THAT WE DON'T KNOW WE DON'T KNOW!!"

Ever since that night I have have been an Agnostic. Neither arrogant enough to believe I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is not a being able to bend the laws of physics and control things beyond human understanding NOR am I arrogant enough to say the opposite. I just know what I know.

AND WHAT DO I KNOW!? Natalie Portman is hot. And she is a vegetarian. I rest my case.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2021   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service