My mother's a vegetarian from birth and suffering from Osteoporosis and she consumes many diary prouducts to alleviate her symptoms. All to no avail. The calcium is just not getting absorbed in her body. I have advised her to get off milk products as they are not doing her any good any way . What else can any one of you suggest nutrition wise for her to feel better.     

Views: 6319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think she needs vitamin D. 

Is she getting enough vitamin K and magnesium?  Both are required to help the body absorb calcium, and they can be found in green, leafy vegetables such as broccoli, kale, collard greens, chard, spinach and mustard greens.  But I love the idea of a 65 year old woman doing power sports ;)

Hello Poonam! You'll also have to ask her to go easy on her salt. Unfortunately salt will replace magnesium's place in calcium absorption. Also she will need to monitor her phosphorus intake as if she consume in excess then the body will pull calcium from the bone to neutralise the pH.

She'll need to suntan without sunscreen for 15 minutes or so per day for her body to naturally generate Vitamin D. Not all the types of Vitamin D present in supplement can be easily absorbed, so it would be easier to allow the body to generate its own.

For supplement, if you can find calcium supplement containing only calcium citrate and take it with magnesium supplement that would help too. The calcium: magnesium ratio should be 2:1. (Side Note: Calcium citrate is one of the easy absorbing type of calcium form that they usually prescribe to women and elderly.)

Also research show that people who consume higher amount of animal protein or dairy is more likely to have osteoporosis. The acidic protein in animal product will actually cause the body to lose more calcium than what it can absorb from the food.

I take Epsom salt baths as a good way to absorb magnesium - not sure how well it works but I'm trying it as I suffer from awful joint pain. Getting back into yoga again soon as well to see if it improves :) best of luck to her!

You say she is a vegetarian from birth. Osteoporosis is purportedly caused by lack of calcium in the diet. If she is eating a lot of fruits and vegetables containing calcium, then she should have plenty of calcium from her vegetarian diet.

Maybe the question to ask at this point is why does she have osteoporosis when she has sufficient calcium in her diet.

Which really begs the question then of "what exactly does her vegetarian diet consist of and in what quantities? I would also be very curious to know whether she consumes sodas and other questionable substances that cause an acidic condition in the body. and which mobilize or leech calcium from the bones. Oh and btw dairy products cause an acidic condition in the body thereby leaching calcium from the bones. Why on earth would she drink or consume dairy?!

Sorry if I come off as terse but her consumption of dairy implies that dairy is good for you and that everyone should consume it to prevent osteoporosis. In other words, it does a body good!

I would recommend Organic Wheatgrass powder which contains A, B-complex, C, E, l,K & Magnesium. It is extremely rich in protein, and contains 17 amino acids, the building blocks of protein. I make a smoothie with mine; 1-2tsp wheatgrass powder, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 tsp of peanut butter & 1 cup almond milk (which has 50% more calcium than cows milk, but none of the hormones, preservatives or antibiotics found in cows milk!) Throw it all in a blender for a minute & you have a delicious, nutritious, drink:)

I'm so sorry to read this about your mum, I hope she's better now. I have that problem now, I was vegan for about 8 years; now even my disagreement I've been trying to go back to vegetarianism. The doctors have told me to include calcium in tablets, I also took a "bonviva" shoot every 6 months, as well as vitamin D supplement. But they've insisted a lot on exercising. Has she included amaranth in her diet??? 

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2021   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service