does anyone drink coffee here? I don't much, but I am about to buy some green coffee beans ground up. does anyone think I should get them roasted first or leave them unroasted? they are fresh from a farm.

Views: 507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You MUST roast the beans before consuming them!  At least if you want them to taste like coffee ;)  FYI, I have owned and operated several coffee roasting companies and cafes, so I do know of what I speak.  After they have been removed from the coffee cherry and dried, the beans must be roasted before they are ground.  While you can do this at home with a small home roaster or even a popcorn popper, it works better in a commercial roaster.  You will need to roast them at least until first crack, which is when you hear an audible popping or cracking sound.  After that, it depends on what level of roast you prefer.

Dan, that sounds interesting. =)

Would you know how to make green coffee blend? I really like my instant green coffee blend, but I wanted some brewed version, so does it mean that I place a ratio of grounded roasted coffee beans and green coffee bean  into the espresso machine to make it?

Hi Anne,

Have you used an espresso machine for green coffee?  The downside is that it would be very difficult to extract much from green coffee in an espresso machine due to the fact that the extraction time is only 25-30 seconds, and green coffee is very dense.  If you like drinking a green coffee extract, it would be more effective to make it separately and then combine the two, or to at least start with a powdered green coffee.  

By the way, one thing not many people know is that the fruit of the coffee tree, the cherry that houses the coffee bean inside, is delicious!  And yet almost all coffee cherries are simply turned to pulp and used for fertilizer.  If you consume green coffee for its anti-oxidant properties, you would be better off eating coffee cherries.  They taste much better, too!

It's good to know that using green coffee in an espresso machine isn't such a good idea before I try. =) I'll have to try the cherries, can't let delicious food go to waste! ;)

If you could finely grind your green coffee, you could put it in an espresso machine, but it would not have as full of an extraction as roasted coffee beans.  However, it might be worth a shot!  

I also see from your profile that you are from SA, and given the climate there (similar to here in California), South Africa may even have a small coffee growing industry.  So you may be able to find some coffee cherries there.  But the best African coffees come from closer to the equator.

I had a private tour of a Hawaiian coffee plantation once, and could not get enough cherries!  Delish...

I think I will use an over-the-stove-top coffee pot (ibrik - I think that' what it's called) for my green coffee brew if that's the case. =) Yes, South Africa got its share of coffee. Nothing big, but it does give me an opportunity to get my hands on some green coffee beans. =D Coffee cherry sounds like a real treat.

oh....wow...nice to meet a coffee expert then.not to question your expertise on the subject, but to qualify my query a bit more and see what you can say....

it might not be proper coffee, but wouldn't it still work to not roast the beans? I mean, there will probably be a more green flavor to it. because I already had a few cups of this green bean and it was not roasted.

any harm  in this? or any more benefit than flavor that comes from a good roast?

Green coffee is a very new concept, popularized by Dr. Oz on his TV program.  While I have met hundreds, if not thousands, of people in the coffee industry over the past 20 years, I have never met one that I know of who used green beans to make a drink.  Obviously, there are people who do so, many of whom feel that green coffee has health benefits and is useful for weight loss (although there are no long-term studies to prove this).  It is not my place to tell you what to drink, and if you enjoy green coffee, then more power to you!  

As far as there being any harm in consuming green coffee, I do not think so; it's just that green coffee is not the same drink as roasted coffee.  Roasting is what gives coffee its flavor; green coffee will not taste anything like roasted coffee.  A proper comparison would be cocoa beans - everyone who eats or drinks chocolate is consuming roasted cocoa beans.  Could you eat non-roasted cocoa beans?  Sure, but it would not taste the same.  Roasting is simply a form of cooking, and there are many foods that either require cooking in order to consume, or that taste better that way.  Perhaps I will try green coffee some day just to see how it tastes, but I am certain that I will always prefer roasted coffee :)

One more thing - there will be more caffeine in green coffee, as this is a chemical that burns off during the roasting process.  The lighter the roast, the more caffeine; the darker the roast, the less caffeine.  Of course, there are also varietal differences in caffeine content, and robusta coffees have more caffeine (and a harsher taste) than arabica coffees.

I hope that helps!

yes...well in fact...I was awake for two days after a cup of green coffee, so that makes sense.

I think the flavor is different than roasting, and I imagine some people will prefer it. perhaps it tastes more natural?

The beans need to cook.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2021   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service