for example, consider sheep! what will happen to them when all people go vegetarian? there would be two conditions, first, left free to live in a  special protected area that leads to unimaginable growing population having its special problems (food,environment,...), and second condition,not being protected, lack of defensive organ gives them no chance to survive.  extinction easily can occur!

thank you for any comments in advance.

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only humans are so arrogant to believe that unless we have a need for an animal, that animal would cease to survive and would somehow threaten our planet. No, if the whole world went vegetarian, sheep would not inherit the earth- and the only species we should be worrying about overbreeding is the human race.

Couldnt agree with you more "Lauren"man is so big headed discussing what can live and what has to die,it beggars belief!what i would like to know is when will he tame himself to be fit enough to share with all the other species that were here long before him!

lauren Woods thank u again for your reply,i always follow u and benefited greatly by your high level of information and really i  know u as a woman of knowledge in vegetarian field so it's very important yet interesting and joyful for me to read you comments, but to be frank this reply wasn't convincing for me and i still have problems with the issue.i think unfortunately domestication made their destiny suffer and die!

Wow thank you :) That's such a lovely thing to say! My day has greatly improved haha xo 

Well look at it this way- if sheep are still not taking over the earth when we forcibly breed them and other animals and pump certain animals with hormones, why on Earth would there be more if humans stopped interfering? Nature takes care of itself, we are the ones perverting everything.

A breed of sheep called Soay can be found on the archipelago of St Kilda, ancestors of which were introduced by the vikings. Since the evacuation of St Kilda in the 1930s a feral population of the sheep have continued to survive, demonstrating that, left to their own devices, they can look after themselves. The small size of the islands of St Kilda provides population control through limited resources (food) therefore ensuring that the place isn't overrun.

Now, while Soay are a particularly hardy breed, it shows that sheep can survive without human intervention, especially if they're adapted to their local environment. I suspect that breeds which have been more intensively bred by humans for the purposes of meat and wool production, thereby minimizing 'feral' traits and behaviour, would suffer the most in a natural setting, especially those prone to complications in pregnancy/birth. Presumably natural selection would take it's course and population checks present in ecosystems (food availability, predation - assuming that ecosystems ain't been fooked over too much as with the UK...) would result in a relatively stable population. The same kind of thinking can probably be applied to many domesticated species.

There will always be conflict between human 'interests' and those of other species considering the sheer number of us. Adapting agriculture in order to mitigate or facilitate the presence of sheep, deer, cattle and other (former) livestock would take some thought and would probably require a more holistic approach than is currently taken by most farmers and governments (reintroduction of natural predators for example).

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2021   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service